Tuesday, August 22, 2006

found journal entry (april 25, 1992)

(on a ferry from Ireland to France)

All this water -- it makes me nervous. The way we move is like being sick. It's like reading a boring book. I look at the words and read them without understanding until at least the third or fourth time; my eyes drift, make circles, get tired. I squint.

Allow the major portion of your attention to sail through the waters of all sensory perception while existing as the same body in time and space, but you will not be easily located unless you understand the map.

It's not like traveling on a train or bus because there is no solid ground on which the vehicle moves. Water is soft and confuses its vesel, which tries to read it as solid ground. Here, we are cutting into that space which cannot be claimed because it is soft. Sort of like air, but with boats.

There is more of an attempt at an illusion. Your mind tries to convince you of the sureness of the body of water. Air does not offer that illusion.

Dizzy feelings are fun when you are a child because they are a new way of perceiving things. Later in life, you learn how to get sick off of this alteration in perception because it interferes with what you have established as normal. You can no longer enjoy the sensations because you've moved past the stage of fascination.

A straight line is no longer a straight line.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew you felt that way about water Travel. I have always been just the opposite. Water is the only true method for me to focus. Meditation without work, drug without effects. i wrote all my term papers in the bath.
When i ride in my boat, I actually can forget about troubles, i am relieved of my hangovers, I feel a sense of peace when i return to land ,where my troubles await, and am better equiped to deal with them. water is like a really good book. Do you still have the same perception now?

chuck said...

yes, i do have the same perception, now. but that is not to say i do not love the water, because i do. it's the traveling on the water that i cannot bear, the terrible sea sickness that induces a harrowing vertigo and nauseates me.