Saturday, June 30, 2007

accomplishments (of sorts)

-Realized I have kept a pretty good blog for an entire year. Only regret the wording of one or two entries (esp. one in which I describe state employees in a way that reeks of self-important, bourgeois expectations). Always interesting to see comments from people I've never met. Blurkers who read this blog should always feel free to comment.

-Finished the semester, graded two big stacks of papers and exams, turned in grades, and then ran screaming from the institution.

-Raised a last glass and said goodbye to long-time close friends A. and S/Z, who are moving to Singapore. Still somewhat in denial about that. Can't really picture Houston without them.

-Packing for trip to Seattle, a city I've never been to but that I've wanted to visit for quite some time. Hope to run into an old friend from my teenage years, who I haven't seen since the early 90s. Plan to spend time on the Olympic Peninsula, visiting the coast and the rainforest.

-Finishing Nick Flynn's Another Bullshit Night in Suck City, a devastating memoir about a son, a father, homelessness, poverty, and work. Read it.

-Contemplating the interviews with Democratic Party presidential candidates I watched on PBS the other night. Journalists of color asked the questions. Particularly excellent was Michel Martin from NPR. She'd finish her question and I'd declare "A-NAL-Y-SIS!" while pointing to the screen.

I'll be posting from the road, y'all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks Chuck... i really enjoyed the blog... I check it often and enjoy reading your thoughts...as i get older conections keep getting thinner, I realise the importance of them. a paragraph on my computer.A smile from an old friend.

Shannon T Leonard said...

As a promotion for our favorite Sunday evening "cartoons," Fox studios has changed some 7-11s into Kwik-e-Marts. There is one in Seattle that you MUST check out while you're there. It's at 362 Denny Way, Seattle, WA 98109.

Anonymous said...

hope you and h have a great vacation, chuck. i would love to hear all about it when you get back.