Wednesday, September 06, 2006

could you use it in a sentence?

My sister Mary Anne sent me an email today that paused, before it asked its question, to let me know that, as she typed her greeting to me, she suddenly remembered being a small girl and finally learning how to spell my name; and that since, for her, it was a difficult name to spell (CHARLES), she felt like it was a real accomplishment.

The simple act of sending an email (this one was asking for recommendations on the kind of yoga she should take up) suddenly, without warning, transports her all the way back to the age of -- what? -- five? six? and its attendant spelling challenges. The past is vivified. She must remember how to spell her brother's name, and then does. I imagine her, back then, so skinny and pale, roller skating on the driveway in her poncho, and the way she, and everyone else I knew, said my name. It was pronounced with two syllables, "Char-rulls," and so I believe she thought it was spelled like this: CHARELS.

(FYI -- We also pronounced my younger sister Kathleen's name with three syllables: Kath-a-leen.)

I was quick to learn how to spell, and knew how to read and write before I entered Mrs. Klopstein's kindergarten class, where we were subjected to daily spelling drills in which dim students did their best to carefully sound out the letters of each word. To me, it was agony. One afternoon, bored stiff, I decided to pretend to be stumped by the word I was given (could it have been the word "THAT"?) and then I mimicked one of the slower students whose voice started to spell in a barely audible articulation, but then grew in volume until he finally blurted out the right letter with a question mark in his voice (like this: "Dog. Um. Okay: dddddDDDDDDDD!??!?! oooooOOOOOO!??!!?! ggggggggGGGGGGG!!?!?!). Funny, though, I don't recollect Mrs. Klopstein's reaction to my performance, just the sensation of doing it and wondering if it would work.

What else could I have done?

No comments: