Monday, September 25, 2006

symptoms

When was the last time you slept all day? For me, it was today.

I've got a bad cold, and it has left me absolutely drained. It came down on me late-Saturday night and when I woke up Sunday morning, I was feeling miserable. Last night was painful (throat, sinuses), and I woke up, covered in drool, this morning at 6am to email work to let them know I wouldn't be in. I figured, since I was up, I'd be reading, grading papers, catching up on some things. But instead, I immediately fell back asleep, only to wake up five hours later, have some soup (thanks, Antonio and Melanie), and go back to sleep until just now. I bet if I went back into the bedroom I'd be out like a light.

And this gorgeous day outside has been feeling all mixed-up. The sounds of the school children gathering for morning announcements, followed by the crackle of car or bike tires on fallen pecans, long breezes drifting into the room, the sun moving, so slowly, all day, a cat meowing upstairs, the school children being let out of class, the sound of a coach's football whistle, a person walking by on a cell phone . . . time is passing in a very strange way, and I really, really miss my partner.

1 comment:

John Pluecker said...

now we know what transpires in solitude. jp