Wednesday, September 27, 2006

do colds move? (and is it gross to describe it?)

Since forever, I've known colds to be different from allergies because they move. The one I have right now started as a scorching hot pain in my throat (mixed with sheer physical exhaustion), but has subsided to a weird itchy thing that nearly chokes me when it is in my throat, and causes convulsive sneezes when it travels to my nose, all the way out to the tip. I sense that it travels back and forth between my throat and my nose throughout the day, and into the night.

Do others sense that colds move? I know that when I was a freshman in college, and taking the worst care of myself ever, I had colds that started in my sinuses and went deep into my lungs, where they settled until I needed antibiotics. Allergies stay exactly where they begin (usually in the nose). Is this true of everyone? Instead of google the answer, I thought I'd let experience speak itself as truth, if anyone cares to respond.

The reason I ask is because I swear this is one of those things I've described to friends (or maybe it was a family member) before, only to be met with one of those really jarring "O, Chuck, you and your ideas! No, Mr. Ph.D., colds don't 'move'!!" responses to which I am particularly sensitive.

Relatedly, I feel better, although I am not yet where I want to be (as my mother always says, pouring herself a fourth cup of coffee). I need another good night's rest.

In any case, my colds move. Do yours?

7 comments:

John Pluecker said...

yes. i agree. colds move around, different symptoms, changing conditions, resurgent pains in new places. allergies are more constant, nose, sneezing, dizziness from sneezing. colds come from allergies though sometimes too. shit i gotta get outta the blogosphere now. jp

keight9 said...

the cold moves like a jellyfish,
one tenticle snaking from my sad red nose,
a tiny tickle in my throat--
nothing almost, just so I'm aware the throat *exists*--
so that I think, Is my throat starting to hurt?
and then BAM!
the next morning I can't swallow.

Pay attention to the tentacle, my friend.
The stinger is always at its end.

cake said...

i'd really like to read kate's blog too. does she have one?

chuck said...

um, excuse me, but that's not a response to the question!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Chuck!
My answer is yes, of course.

chuck said...

hey, thanks, anonymous reader. dare i guess who you are?

Christa M. Forster said...

I think so; yes; they move; they do.

That is why we can breathe a cold through us without catching it, and why it's so much harder to shake the allergies.