Tuesday, May 22, 2007

underdog

The first performance artist I ever knew was a woman who lived in the township where I grew up, named Suzanne (pronouced "Susan", from what I can remember). She was known, when I was a kid, for rollerskating up and down the blocks of Delran with her cat in a bag, a wide cape trailing behind her. Capes, long, long skirts, and her rollerskates: she was completely out of place in the mall-obsessed, consumer-savvy Delran of the late-1970s and 1980s. When I was seven, she was probably 23. The kids on my block called her "The Rollerskating Lady." She lived in an apartment complex across the highway. When I was very young, she was like a celebrity. I wanted to ask her questions. She made me so curious: did she *know* she was wearing things that made people gawk, or did she not? Did she *want* for people to look at her funny, or did she want to be accepted? Later, when I was a pre-teen and early-adolescent, even though she was about fifteen years older than me, I thought of her as a kindred spirit -- a weird-o living in an anti-art, pro-athlete, all-white middle-class suburb.

She also had a beautiful voice, and sang in the Catholic church attached to the Catholic school I went to from first- through eighth-grade. She wore her plain brown hair long and straight. She had an Irish face, often scrunched into a contemplative frown. She did not seem to care in the least what anyone thought of her even though it was clear to me that she was an outsider. When I would ask questions about her, my parents told me she was retarded, which did not seem correct to me since she was not, to my mind, the same as other people I knew who bore that description. I have a bad, emotionally-charged memory of being in the second grade, just when school was about to let out for the summer, and hearing stories about how some older boys bought a slice of pizza at the parish carnival and purposely dropped it on the blacktop so they could laugh at her when she walked over and picked it up and ate it.

When I stopped going to mass in high school, I stopped seeing Suzanne. Shortly thereafter, however, my cousins came to visit from north Jersey and asking if we knew Underdog. "Who's Underdog?" "She's this crazy woman from Delran who's been on the Howard Stern Show who has this whole dance that she does." My mother interrupted, "That's Suzanne! And that Howard Stern ought to be ashamed of himself for exploiting that poor girl!" Really? Suzanne? The Rollerskating Lady? She was on Howard Stern?

It was true. Suzanne had made quite a name for herself through Stern's radio and television show as The Underdog Lady. Although I never saw this show, or her performance, I was left with the same feeling about how "funny" she was as the day I heard about dropping the slice of pizza -- a sort of soul-crushing blow to the heart triggered by the awful realization that cruelty comes readily and easily to people, and that people take a real pleasure in watching it happen over and over again.

When I left for college, Stern's book [title?] came out. I heard there was a photo of Suzanne in it. At a bookstore, I opened up right to a page with a photo of Hollyweird Squares, a knock-off on Hollywood Squares and, in one of the squares, sat a tiny little Suzanne with the word "Underdog" marking her square. I looked at the picture for a long time, trying to see the details of her face. I didn't buy it.

Time passed. I moved to Houston and meet people from all over the place. Every once in a while I was reminded of and tried to accurately describe this Suzanne from my childhood, a.k.a. Underdog, a.k.a. the Rollerskating Lady. I have not thought about her for what? -- years, probably. Today, however, my sister forwarded me the Wikipedia entry on Suzanne Muldowney [her full name], and I found out that she has Asperger's Syndrome, and that she has worked hard to shed the Howard Stern years, to bring dignity back to her art by establishing herself to be an artist with a life-long devotion to public performance. Underdog is not her only character, but one of several that she brings to life in public at small-town New Jersey parades and carnivals. This, I think, is really cool.

It's hard, still, though, because (as I discovered over the past, um, three hours has it been?) YouTube videos of her are accompanied by really mean-spirited comments that totally debase her. I can't even watch the stuff left over from Stern. I got about five seconds in to one of her picking up tootsie roll candies at a parade before I had to stop it. Just mean. Horrible. Like the pizza slice. It fucking makes me die inside.

I'm interested in seeing the documentary film about her, though, which got rave reviews from the critics when it screened at the Atlanta Film Festival last year. The trailer makes the film seem decent. You can watch the trailer at www.artofmadness.com.

4 comments:

cake said...

wow chuck, this is truly incredible. i watched the trailer, and can't wait to see the film. thank you for your sensitive perspective, on all of it.

and...i sure do know what it is like to lose hours looking at material by/about people from your distant past.

Anonymous said...

I decided not to look anything up and respond on just memory. I remember that She used to rollerskate around, i remember that girls sorta new more about her than boys did. She used to stop along her way and spit on the ground. not gross like but in Old world curse like fashion. (Damm i wish i knew if I saw that or heard it) You told me a story that she talked to Cathy at church on christmas eve, about how her favorite part of xmas was all the wrapping paper. i never heard the name underdog lady until Howard Stern fame... But I remember the cape. and the cat companion. i was once told she was a ballet dancer, successful. i don't know if thats true. in my line of work there are all kinds of stories of people having mental issues and there life altering. I worked with a female ad exec. one of the most successful in the 70's who couldn't handle more than a four hour day of vacuuming after her breakdown, I digress cause this seems to be a different issue. i was just at a south Jersey street fair (Palmyra) two weeks ago with Mikes kid, It would have made my day if she performed. No such luck. Ill look her up now, I don't remember Her from the high School years. i wish i had been more aware. I have always found a little art in my work community. Its nice to see that view of her, and the people who make fun, beat up punks, laugh at stutters and die bitter.

chuck said...

i almost put the spitting part in but i took it out at the last minute because i couldn't describe it without making the spitting seem like a gross act. your description of it is exactly right; although, like you, i don't remember seeing her spit. i just remember hearing that she spit. perhaps to keep taunting kids away from her?

chuck said...

oh, yeah. and it wasn't kath, it was my dad. and the conversation was about throwing wrapping paper away after opening gifts -- wasting it, and not saving it, like she did, to make crafts. again, why was this supposed to mean there was something wrong with her?